For the week of January 8, 2015
Tec Notes have returned! Look for useful tidbits of information about current initiatives, projects and events on the first and third Wednesday of each month. Your submissions are welcome and will help keep everyone at the Town up to date on current news and events.
Christmas Tree Collection will commence the week of January 12.
The first Regular Council Meeting for 2015 will be on Tuesday, January 13 at 7:00 pm. It will be preceded by a Public Council Meeting on the Bonduelle Zoning By-law Amendment at 6:00 pm.
A Joint Orientation Session for Area Municipal Councils and their Senior Administration will take place on Wednesday, January 14. This session is being coordinated in partnership with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
The Town’s annual Capital Projects Road Tour, a Special Meeting of Council, will take place the morning of Saturday, January 17. It will include site visits to current and proposed capital works projects around Town.
The Town is welcoming applications for Snow Angels, volunteers to remove snow and ice from sidewalks and driveway approaches of seniors and persons with disabilities. Tecumseh residents over the age of 65 or who have a disability can apply for assistance. Both applications are available on the Town’s website along with further details.
Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco and e-cigarettes is now prohibited in all Town parks, recreational facilities and sports fields, as well as within 9-metres of an entrance/exit of a municipal facility and bus stop under the Town’s Smoke Free Outdoor Spaces By-law which came into effect on January 1, 2015. The Province of Ontario also amended the Smoke Free Ontario Act, effective January 1, 2015.
The Working Toward Wellness program is pleased to provide the following update: Healthy Bodies: ACTIVate initiative Partner Up - Your Physical Activity Challenge! The following link is to the fourth and final installment of the Hot Topics series for this initiative, Healthy Bodies: ACTIVate. Partner Up is designed to help you stay on track with your physical activity plan over the next four weeks by including a friend, co-worker, or family members as a partner. For some people, having a partner helps them reach their goals – give it a try!
2015 Dog Licenses are now available at Town Hall. The fee is $15 before March 31st and $30 for the remainder of the year.
Over the last few days I have received a number of calls and e-mails regarding the odour that we're currently experiencing.
Bonduelle has advised the Town of Tecumseh of what it is. The plant is processing dry beans. They're taking red kidney beans, chick peas, etc., blanching them through a continuous blanching process, and then freezing them.
They began the process on Saturday, December 13th and concluded their dry bean production today. You're smelling the blanching/cooking of the dry beans during the process. The production of dry/frozen beans occurs twice annually, in December and June. Usually, each period last about 7 - 8 days.
Please do let me know if you have any comments on this, either here or by calling me at 226-773-1910.
On Tuesday, Council will hold a special meeting at 6pm in addition to its regular meeting at 7pm.
The special meeting will consider committee appointments for the coming 4 year term. You can see the committees and applicants in the full agenda found here.
The regular meeting begins at 7pm and considers the following matters. The full agenda can be found here.
Delegations will include:
- Kristy McBeth, Manager of Chronic Disease and Prevention, Windsor Essex County Health Unit who will speak to having a Smoke Free Outdoor Spaces By-law adopted in Tecumseh (for consideration tonight), as well as amendments to the Smoke Free Ontario Act and County Wide Consistency Strategy, and
- Andrew Paterson, Manager Municipal Engagement, Canada Post who will speak about Community Mail Boxes/Discontinuance of Residential Door-to-door Mail Delivery
As part of Council's normal business, the following will be considered and Council will be asked to:
- Authorize participation of councillors in the Association of Municipalities of Ontario Land Use Planning Course and Municipal Council Education Program for professional development. (I have requested to attend the A.M.O. Municipal Council Education Program which will be held on December 12th in London.)
- Receive minutes of the Joint Health and Safety Advisory Committee meeting of November 20, 2014
- Update the Non-Smoking Policy to eliminate smoking in public outdoor spaces such as parks and fields.
- Consider continuing policy that one third of councillors' pay will represent the reimbursement of expenses incurred from performing regular council business, which makes it exempt from taxation.
- Amend the financing of the 2013 Arena addition from reserves to development charge funding
- Set Administrative Fees and Charges.
- Extend Transit Delivery and Maintenance Services Contract with First Student Canada for 2015
- Sign agreement with Ontario Ministry of Transportation to accept Dedicated Gas Tax Funds for Public Transit
- Hold a Public Meeting for Tuesday, January 13, 2015 with respect to establishing Migrant Worker Housing at Bonduelle.
- Respond to the rejection of funding for Tecumseh projects under the Building Canada Fund - Small Communities Fund (SCF) and the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund (OCIF) Application.
- Award Tender for building a Pedestrian Bridge near Malden Road crossing Pike Creek
- Award Tender for extending Sanitary Sewers into Oldcastle's Burke Street, Outer Drive, & Moro Drive
- Amend the Manning Road Secondary Plan Area Stormwater Management Study as part of the Class Environmental Assessment to incorporate the Baillargeon Drain as part of the drainage area
- Approve corrective actions identified as part of a regular audit of drinking water quality management standards.
- Accept report of the Ontario Ministry of the Environment with respect to recent inspection
- Establish Water Wastewater Rates By-Law
If you have questions or concerns with respect to any of these items, please feel free to let me know in the comment section, via Facebook or Twitter, or by calling me at (519) 962-8832*
* NOTE My phone number will be changing soon. I will advise as to when this will occur.
INAUGURAL MEETING of the Council of the Town of Tecumseh
Tuesday, December 2, 2014
Tecumseh Town Hall
917 Lesperance Road
at 7:00 p.m.
PROCESSSION: Bagpipes, Caleb Thibodeau
ORDER: Clerk, Laura Moy
PRAYERS: Father Gary Goyeau & Reverend Robin Sherman
SINGING OF O’CANADA: Chastin Lamoureaux
DECLARATION OF ELECTED OFFICE:
The Honourable Mr. Justice Christopher Bondy
Mayor and Members of Council
PRESENTATION: Mayor’s Chain of Office
REMARKS: Members of Council
Manning Road's facelift continues. Beginning later this month, the Lakewood Park Stormwater Channel on the west side of the Park from St Thomas Street to Riverside Drive will be constructed. The Channel will provide stormwater storage allowing the enclosure of the East Townline Drain along the west side of Manning Road and for the new residential areas approved for the southeast section of the former Lakewood Golf Course.
You'll also see the site preparation work begin for the Estates of Lakewood Park Development, (tree removals and stripping of topsoil). This work is required to allow the stockpiling of the excavated materials from the Channel. The stockpiled material will be there shall remain until such time the site servicing for the development begins in the Spring 2015.
Construction of the Channel is scheduled to begin in later December 2014 and should be completed in Spring 2015.
Traffic on Manning Road will be maintained during construction; however you may experience some minor delays when construction vehicles are entering/exiting the site.
Festive Choral Celebration of Christmas Comes to Tecumseh
Windsor, Ontario – November 25, 2014 – The Windsor Symphony Orchestra presents Holiday Brass, a concert in Tecumseh celebrating the Christmas season with special guests the Windsor Classic Chorale and the Windsor-Essex Youth Choir. One of three performances taking place throughout Essex County, this concert is led by WSO Chorus Master Lana Lysogor and takes place at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, December 7 at St. Anne’s Church.
The WSO Brass Quintet and piano will accompany the choruses in a concert filled with traditional choral holiday favourites both sacred and secular. The finale includes an invitation to the audience to sing along with some of Christmas’ most popular carols.
Beloved Christmas standards including “O Come All Ye Faithful,” “Silver Bells,” “Angels We Have Heard on High,” and “Hark the Herald Angels Sing,” will be performed with timeless classical works such as Bach’s “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring,” and Mendelssohn’s “Weihnachten.”
Additional performances include December 5 in Amherstburg and December 6 in Leamington. A different children’s chorus joins the WSO Brass Quintet and Windsor Classic Chorale for each of the weekend’s three performances. Prince Andrew Public School takes part in the Dec. 5 Amherstburg concert. Belle River Public School takes part in theDec. 6 Leamington concert.
Holiday Brass – A Choral Celebration of Christmas
Sunday, December 7 at 7:30 p.m.
St. Anne’s Church, Tecumseh
WSO Brass Quintet & Piano
Lana Lysogor, Conductor
Windsor Classic Chorale
Windsor-Essex Youth Choir
Opus Benefactor: The Morris & Beverly Baker Foundation
Concert Sponsor: Town of Tecumseh
Media Sponsors: the Windsor Star, Windsorite.ca, BizX Magazine
Town of Tecumseh
Special Committee Meeting
Monday, November 17, 2014
Tecumseh Town Hall
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. ROLL CALL
III. DISCLOSURE OF PECUNIARY INTEREST
IV. INTRODUCTION AND PURPOSE OF MEETING
The purpose of the meeting is to hold Municipal Governance Training for Newly Elected and Re-elected Officials and the Senior Management Team.
Facilitated by Mike Galloway, Chief Administrative Officer of Niagara on-the Lake
Saturday, November 8, 2014 - 10:30 to 11:30
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 6:30 pm
Lakeshore/Tecumseh French Immersion Catholic School Feasibility Public Meeting @ St. Anne Catholic Secondary School, 1200 Oakwood Drive in Belle River
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 18:00 to 19:00
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 19:00 to 20:00
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 18:00 to 19:00
Tuesday, December 2, 2014 - 19:00 to 20:00
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 - 18:00 to 19:00
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 - 19:00 to 20:00
Thank you wholeheartedly Tecumseh for your support in Monday's municipal election. I was positively astounded by the level of support that you have given me and I look forward to contributing my skills, knowledge and experience in municipal government to provide an oversight ability, customer service and advocacy that is second to none.
AndrewDowie.ca is here to stay as a constituency portal. Once I join Council in December, you will be able to find information about upcoming decisions and considerations. I would very much like to receive your feedback on these issues, as well as your own, on this site. Don't be shy, and make sure that you take advantage of the comments section.
In the meantime, this site will undergo some cosmetic changes as it evolves to a constituency portal so that it is ready and online in December. You may see links appear and disappear during the testing process. In addition to this site, you can reach me at @Andrew_Dowie, facebook.com/andrewdowie or call me at 519-962-8832. Please do be in touch with what's on your mind.
I had never really thought about how frustrating it would be to have an election going on and not be able to be a part of it before.
Like most of you, I have yet to receive my voting kit. It is expected to arrive at the remaining doorsteps before Tuesday. If you are still without by Tuesday, you may visit Town Hall to secure new credentials. Town staff are on hand there to assist.
In the meantime I will be watching my own mailbox with eager anticipation. I look forward to seeing you at the Tecumseh Legion on Monday night beginning at 7pm for the Meet the Candidates night.