July 24th Meeting

Click this week's link here for the full agenda and reports.

The meeting will begin at 7pm with delegations:

a. Ashley Weeres, Mike Brian, and Bob Boughner, Windsor-Essex Care for Kids Foundation Re: Black Tie Tailgate Event - Request for Exemption from Noise By-Law
b. Wendy Pulleyblank-Cunningham, Old Sandwich South Historical Society RE: Grand Opening Invitation – Sandwich South Cultural & Resource Centre
Read more
2 reactions Share

July 10th Meeting

This week, Tecumseh Town Council begins at 7pm. The Agenda can be found here

A delegation for this week is Diane Mitchell, National Campaign Coordinator for the Canadian Union of Postal Workers. CUPW is seeking support on expanding postal services as well as postal banking.

Communications - For Information includes a letter from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation dated July 4, 2018 Re: Cancellation of the Ontario Municipal Commuter Cycling (OMCC) program.

Read more
2 reactions Share

June 26th Meeting

This week, Town Council begins at 7pm.  The full agenda can be found here.

Delegations include:
a. Dan Piescic, who is retiring as Tecumseh's Director of Public Works & Environmental Services

b. Judy Wellwood-Robson, who is being recognized as Senior of the Year Award Recipient

c. Cynthia Swift, CPA, KPMG, who will be presenting the 2017 Draft Audited Financial Statements

 

Read more
Add your reaction Share

May 22nd Meeting

This week, Tecumseh Town Council begins at 7pm.  The full agenda can be found here.

Delegations include:
a. Gloria McKibbin, The Royal Canadian Legion Col. Paul Poisson Branch 261 - Ladies Auxiliary.  The Legion’s Ladies Auxiliary will be celebrating their 80th Anniversary on May 11, 2018; and Gloria McKibbin has been named Legionnaire of the Year.
b. Tracy Pringle, Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) Re: 2017 Assessment Report.  In their report, MPAC will demonstrate the effect of the phase-in of property assessment increases to the property taxes that you pay.

Communications - For Information
a. Township of Selwyn - dated April 30, 2018 Re: Hockey Season Re-Alignment.  Selwyn is requesting that hockey season across Ontario not begin until October in order for municipalities to save on operating funds.
b. Town of Lakeshore Notice of Public Meeting - dated May 3, 2018 Re: Purpose of Proposed Amendment 36, 38, 40 and 42 E. Pike Creek Road.  Lakeshore is hosting a public meeting regarding this development on the eastern side of East Pike Creek Road north of Tecumseh Road which involves the construction of two 3-unit townhouse dwellings.
c. Minister of Infrastructure - dated May 4, 2018 Re: Ontario Regulation 588/17 Asset Management Planning for Municipal Infrastructure.  Minister Bob Chiarelli advises of changes to the provincial Asset Management framework for municipalities including funding to create asset management plans in small communities.
d. Letter from Canada Post - dated May 8, 2018 Re: Municipal Identifier.  Canada Post advises that it is considering Tecumseh Town Council's request to consolidate addresses within municipal boundaries as being "Tecumseh" in lieu of Windsor.
e. Town of Oakville - dated May 11, 2018 Re: CN Intermodal Update.  Oakville is requesting that Ontario participate in an appeal of the Canadian National Railway's determination that an intermodal development would reside under federal jurisdiction outside of municipal regulation.

Communications - Action Required
a. Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) - dated April 23, 2018 RE: 2018-2020 AMO Board of Directors-Call for Nominations.  Administration recommends that the nomination of Mayor Gary McNamara for the vacant position on
the AMO Board of Directors, be supported.
b. The Town of Tecumseh Business Improvement Area - dated May 16, 2018 Re: Night Market.  Administration is recommending that the Town of Tecumseh Business Improvement Area be granted an exemption from the Town`s Noise By-law No. 2002-07 as amended, on Friday, June 22nd at Green Valley Plaza from 5:00 to 10:00 pm; and on Friday, July 20th at the Tecumseh Towne Centre Plaza from 5:00 to 10:00 pm; to host the Night Market;
And that OPP be informed of this exemption from Noise By-law.

Reports include:
Corporate Services & Clerk
1. CS-2018-06 Records Retention By-law. Administration proposes that By-law 2018-39, being a by-law to establish a new classification and retention schedule for Corporate Records and Temporary Records for The Corporation of the Town of Tecumseh and to repeal By-Law No. 2003-62, be adopted.

b. Planning & Building Services
1. PBS-2018-17 CIP Grant Funding, 12214 Tecumseh Rd., Building Permit Fee Grant.  Administration recommends that the Grant Application for the Tecumseh Road Main Street Community Improvement Plan Financial Incentive Program, for the property located at 12214 Tecumseh Road (Roll No. 3744060000001700) (Buckingham Realty), be approved and deemed eligible for a Financial Incentive(s) in accordance with Section 11.3 (5) towards the Planning Application and Permit Fee Grant, for a total amount of $600.00 toward the building permit fee cost associated with the above-noted property all of which is in accordance with the Tecumseh Road Main Street Community Improvement Plan.
2. PBS-2018-18 CIP Grant Funding, 1071 Lesperance Road.  Administration recommends that the Grant Application for the Tecumseh Road Main Street Community Improvement Plan Financial Incentive Program, for the property located at 1071
Lesperance Road (Roll No. 374406000005100) (former Akasaka Japanese Restaurant), be approved and deemed eligible for
Financial Incentive(s) in accordance with Section 11.3 (5) towards:
i) Building Façade Improvement Grant, for a total amount of $15,000.00 towards the building façade improvements to the existing building;
ii) Residential Grant Program, for a total amount of $40,000 towards the costs associated with the rehabilitation and construction on the existing second floor residential unit and the conversion of the unit into two separate residential units;
and
iii) Development Charges Grant Program, for a total amount of $5,416, being the development charge rate for the newly proposed one-bedroom residential unit on the second floor all of which is in accordance with the Tecumseh Road Main Street Community
Improvement Plan and PBS-2018-18.

c. Public Works & Environmental Services
1. PWES-2018-14 Bike Lanes on Lesperance Road.  Administration recommends the hosting of a Public Information Centre regarding the addition of Bicycle Lanes to Lesperance Road and removing the centre left turn lane.
2. PWES-2018-16 2018 Asphalt Tender Award.  Administration recommends that the low tender from Coco Paving Inc. in the amount of $ 1,325,140 plus HST, for the 2018 Asphalt Paving Tender, be approved, and that the Mayor and Clerk be authorized to enter into a contract for the services with Coco Paving Inc.
The following streets were included in the 2018 Asphalt Program:
1. Alden Cres ........................................Entire length
2. Baseline Rd.......................................12th Conc. To CR 19
3. Birkdale Crt .......................................Entire Length
4. Cambridge Crt...................................Entire Length
5. Cumberland Crt.................................Entire Length
6. Dresden Pl ........................................Entire Length
7. Dube Dr.............................................Entire Length
8. Fasan Dr ...........................................Entire Length
9. Mack Crt............................................Entire Length
10.Oakfield Crt .......................................Entire Length
11.Oakpark Dr........................................Entire Length
12.Oldcastle Rd......................................North Talbot Rd to Hwy 3
13.Regal Crt...........................................Entire Length
14.Regent Rd.........................................Entire Length
15.Rostrevor Crt.....................................Entire Length

For questions regarding these or other municipal matters please contact me at (226) 773-1910 or andrew@andrewdowie.ca

2 reactions Share

May 8th Meeting

This week, Town Council begins at 7pm.  The agenda can be found here.

Delegations include:

  • Corn Festival Committee member Tony Corona who is being recognized by Festival and Events Ontario Recognition
  • Ron Seguin, Vice President, International Relations, Training and Campus Development, Dave Cooper, Head Coach – Men’s Baseball, Ted Beale, Athletic Coordinator, Bernie Labute, Manager, Special Events/Athletic Advancement, and Christy Gatto, Director of Athletics & Sports Development who will be recognized as the winners of the St. Clair College Men's Baseball 2017 National Championship
  • Joe Barile, General Manager of Essex Powerlines Corporation providing Updates and Youth Engagement Cheque
    Presentation.  (Essex Power is 11th lowest operational cost of Local Distribution Companies)

Communications include:
a. Town of LaSalle Notice of Public Meeting, dated April 23, 2018, Re: New Official Plan.  LaSalle is inviting interested persons to LaSalle Council Chambers on Tuesday May 22nd at 7pm.
b. Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs, dated May 1, 2018 Re: 2018 Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence.  The Minister advises that May 25, 2018 is the application deadline for the Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation
Excellence program.  Details can be found in the 2018 Program Guidebook and Application Form at: www.ontario.ca/agrifoodinnovation. 
c. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs dated May 3, 2018 Re: Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund Top-up Component – Important Information.  The Fund will transfer $2,252,692 to Tecumseh but the town will not be able to benefit from top-up funding.

Also, Essex Power Corporation is requesting that consideration of Water and Sanitary In-House Billing and the corresponding report No. FS-2018-04 Water and Sanitary In-House Billing April 24, 2018 be deferred to the June 26, 2018 Regular Meeting of Council.

Reports include:
Corporate Services & Clerk
1. CS-2018-01, 2017 Open and Closed Council Meetings.  Our meeting times were as follows:

  • Regular Meetings 20 meetings, 335 agenda items, 34 hrs. 16 min spent in session, 1 hr. 42 min on average.
  • Public Meetings 14 meetings, 53 agenda items, 8 hrs. 9 min spent in session, 34 min on average.
  • Special Council Meetings 9 meetings, 21 agenda items, 16 hrs. 44 min spent in session, 1 hr. 51 min on average.
  • In-Camera 7 meetings, 23 agenda items, 5 hrs. 31 min. spent in session, 0 hr. 47 min on average.

2. CS-2018-10 Restricted Acts of Council after Nomination Day - Lame Duck Provisions.  Administration is recommending delegation of certain authority to the Chief Administrative Officer, to the Director Corporate Services & Clerk and to the Director Financial Services & Treasurer until the next Council is elected.
3. CS-2018-07 Request for Noise By-Law Exemption - Beach Grove Golf and Country Club.  Beach Grove Golf and Country Club is requesting an exemption from the Town’s Noise By-law on Friday, July 27, 2018 and Friday, August 31, 2018, to permit music entertainment until 11:30 pm.

b. Financial Services
1. FS-2018-04 Water Sanitary In-House Billing.  Administration is recommending that In-House Billing for water services where water bills will be sent by the Town of Tecumseh in lieu of Essex Power be adopted.
2. FS-2018-06 2018 Asset Management Plan.  Administration recommends that the previously presented Asset Management Program identifying the addressing of newly identified gaps in maintenance funding be adopted.

c. Parks & Recreation Services
1. PRS-2018-07, Essex Power Youth In Community Fund.  Administration advises that Essex Power will supply a $10,000 Youth in Community grant to Tecumseh once again.

d. Planning & Building Services
1. PBS-2018-16, CIP Grant Funding, 12350 Tecumseh Road.  Administration is recommending approval of a Grant under the Tecumseh Road Mainstreet Community Improvement Plan toward construction of a gazebo at the Tecumseh Historical Society for a total of $1,000.00 under the Public Act category.

 

For any questions on these or other municipal matters you can reach me at 226-773-1910 or andrew@andrewdowie.ca

2 reactions Share

2018 Municipal Election

To all of my great constituents in the Town of Tecumseh:

Four years ago, it was a tremendous privilege to have been chosen to represent Ward 1 in the 2014 election. My Council experience was, and remains, an incredibly fulfilling and rewarding endeavour. My longstanding hope is that my work on Town Council has made a positive and lasting impact on our community.

I am happy to announce that today I have submitted my nomination to represent the new Ward 1. Our boundaries were redrawn as the result of Town Council's effort to make our wards more similar in size and democratically equitable. The new Ward 1 includes the area from Centennial westerly and north of St. Thomas. This means that I will not be on the ballot for about 60% of my current constituents living east of Centennial and St. Thomas southerly. While this is a bittersweet outcome for me as your representative, I am excited that the democratic deficit that had existed in Ward 1 since our town's 1999 formation has been resolved by our Council.

In the new Ward 1, I look forward to discussing the future of Tecumseh and our priorities in the coming months with you at your door and learning about the visions of the other candidates who will be running. You will be sure to see me work to earn your continued support during this election and I am excited to be able to visit you once again in the coming months. And to my constituents joining Ward 2 and the new Ward 3 - you will continue to have me as an ally and resource for as long as I remain on Town Council.

With my warmest regards,
Andrew

226-773-1910 andrew@andrewdowie.ca

Add your reaction Share

April 24th Meeting

This week, Tecumseh Town Council will begin at 5pm with a Public Meeting regarding a proposed apartment and townhouse development.  The agenda can be found here.

The parcel is 1.74 hectare (4.29 acre) and is currently designated “Institutional (I)” in the St. Clair Beach Official Plan. The developer wishes to have the property redesignated as “Medium Density Residential (R3)” with 22 townhouse units and one, four-storey apartment building containing a maximum of 55 units. The proposed residential development would front a new municipal road that would extend northerly from Tecumseh Road for a length of approximately 105 metres. The apartment is proposed to be located on the northerly portion of the subject property.

Delegations include the Applicant, Rosati Construction Inc., and Dillon Consulting.

At 7pm, Regular Business will begin.  The agenda can be found here.

Delegations include:

  • Kim Spirou, President of the Rotary Club of Essex Re: Rotary Club Annual Fish Fry Event on July 20, 2018 
  • Cada Library Complex Renovations Re: Robin Greenall, Chief Executive Officer, Essex County Library
  • Senior Advisory Committee Chair, Doug Drouillard and Vice Chair, Paul Morand
  • Youth Advisory Committee Chair Kristi Koutros, and Vice Chair, Maria Giorlando

Communications - For Information
a. Town of Lakeshore Notice, dated April 3, 2018 Re: Notice of Open Public House - Proposed Amy Croft Secondary Plan.  The Town of Lakeshore is undertaking a Secondary Plan amendment to the Amy Croft Drive area including the expected future uses of existing properties and the future road network.
b. Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change, dated April 5, 2018 Re: Regulatory Decisions - Clean Water Act and Safe Drinking Water Act.  The Province advises of various housekeeping amendments to these acts as a result of municipal feedback.
c. Environment and Land Tribunals, dated April 6, 2018 Re: OMB Case No. PL160967 - Request for review.  The Town of Tecumseh had requested a review of a recent decision issued by the Ontario Municipal Board as it created irreconcilable uncertainty with respect to the Town's Official Plan.  The decision was reviewed but was ultimately upheld by the Board.
d. Township of Baldwin, dated April 9, 2018 Re: Bill C-71.  Baldwin requests that Bill C-71 be rescinded and that the enforcement of existing gun laws take place.
e. Office of the Prime Minister, dated April 9, 2018 Re: Infrastructure funding for storm water management and drainage
improvements.  Prime Minister Trudeau has referred a recent Town inquiry regarding funding for stormwater and drainage projects to the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities.

Communications - Action Required
a. Ernie Hardeman, M.P.P. dated March 26, 2018 Re: Bill 16 Respecting Municipal Authority Over Landfilling Sites Act.  Administration recommends "That Bill 16, Respecting Municipal Authority Over Landfilling Sites Act introduced by MPP Ernie Hardeman and calls upon the Government of Ontario, and all political parties, to formally grant municipalities the
authority to approve landfill projects, be adopted."

Reports
a. Chief Administrative Officer
1. CAO-2017-07 NAFTA Recommendations from Windsor-Essex.  Administration advises that various local authorities share various local recommendations with the federal government with respect to federal negotiations:
- Recognize the importance of Canada-U.S. trade interdependence
- Recognize Canada’s automotive sector as a key priority throughout NAFTA renegotiations
- Protect existing mechanism that promote cross-border labour mobility
- Increase opportunities for cross-border experiential learning
- Support this region’s global economic competitiveness

b. Corporate Services & Clerk
1. CS-2018-09 Regulate Election Signs in the Town of Tecumseh.  Administration proposes the adoption of a new By-law to regulate election signs in the Town of Tecumseh.  The Election Sign By-law will provide greater clarity on what is considered to be an election sign, when and where election signs may and cannot be erected, and ensure compliance with legislative changes to the Municipal Elections Act (MEA) and Municipal Act, 2001, (Municipal Act). Additionally, the Election Sign By-law will enhance enforcement procedures and permit the recovery of costs associated with the removal of non-compliant election signs. The By-law also addresses issues and concerns raised regarding election signs in past election years.  It restricts election signs on or overhanging Town property. It further limits the number of signs on residential property to two (2) signs per candidate on a residential property and three (3) election signs per candidate on land zoned other than residential. 
2. CS-2018-08 Use of Corporate Resources for Election Purposes.  Administration has brought forward an updated policy with respect to restricting the use of any Town of Tecumseh resources towards municipal election purposes.

c. Financial Services
1. FS-2018-04 Water Sanitary In-House Billing.   Administration recommends that a proposal for water and sanitary billing function (read, process, bill and collect) be brought in-house to the Town of Tecumseh from Essex Power as proposed in the 2018 Proposed Business Plan & Budget be tabled for discussion and referred to the May 8, 2018 Regular Council Meeting for consideration and approval.

d. Fire & Emergency Services
1. FIRE-2018-05 Tecumseh Fire Services Q1 2018 Update - The Fire Chief supplies an update of activities undertaken over the last three months.

e. Parks & Recreation Services

Administration recommends acceptance of the following festivals and events:
1. PRS-2018-04 Rotary Club Fish Fry (Noise By-law exemption and permission to serve alcohol, Lakewood Park - Friday July 20)
2. PRS-2018-09 Annual Outdoor Bonfire and Fireworks Event (Lakewood Park - Saturday September 1)
3. PRS-2018-08 Tecumseh Corn Festival 2018 (Noise By-law exemption, Lacasse Park - August 24-26)
4. PRS-2018-10 Optimist Club's Family Fun Fair (Noise By-law exemption, McAuliffe Park - Saturday September 22)
5. PRS-2018-11 Tecumseh BIA's Fall Into Health Day Event (Noise By-law exemption, Lakewood Park - Sunday September 23)
6. PRS-2018-12, Etsy In The Park Event (Noise By-law exemption, Lacasse Park - Saturday September 29)

f. Planning & Building Services
1. PBS-2018-15 Town New Sign By-law, Results of Public Engagement and Adoption of By-law.  Administration has prepared a revision to the Sign By-law.  The new By-law ends grandfathering of existing permanent portable signs.  The use of signs will be expanded for businesses to allow one Portable Sign for two 30 day periods per tenant. In addition, Sandwich Boards will be permitted for each tenant between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.

For information on these or other municipal matters, please contact me at 226-773-1910 or andrew@andrewdowie.ca

Add your reaction Share

April 10th Meeting

This week, Tecumseh Town Council begins at 6pm with a Public Meeting.  The agenda can be found here.

Town Council will consider public comment on a rezoning application for a 1.8 hectare (4.4 acre) parcel of land situated on the west side of Manning Road, approximately 300 metres south of its intersection with South Talbot Road (7095 Manning). The purpose of the proposed amendment is to rezone the subject property from "Agricultural Zone (A)" to a site specific "Agricultural Zone (A-28)" that will permit a poultry processing and repackaging facility to operate from the larger of the two agricultural buildings located on the property. The subject property is designated “Agricultural” in the Sandwich South Official Plan.

Immediate neighbours support the proposed use.

Regular business begins at 7pm.  The agenda can be found here.

Delegations include Tom Kitsos, Zora Visekruna and Phil Bartnik.  Re: Asset Management Plan Version 2.  Administration reports that the town's lifecycle program must be updated based on more recent information.  The current plan has a shortfall of a $2.2 million annual deficit on tax-supported programs and a $0.4 million annual deficit on rate-supported programs over 20 years.  The roadways deficit totals $26.7 million (with the Tecumseh Road CIP expected to be constructed between 2024 and 2035); the bridges deficit totals $10.7 million, the stormwater deficit totals $24.6 million; and the wastewater deficit totals $11.2 million, and the facilities deficit totals $12.2 million.

Reports
a. Chief Administrative Officer
1. CAO-2018-06 AMO Main Street Revitalization Grant.  Administration recommends that a new accessible pathway at the Tecumseh Heritage Museum, which is in the Town’s Tecumseh Road Main Street CIP Area, be approved, at an estimated cost of $12,500 plus HST, and that the by-law authorizing the Town to enter into an Agreement with the Association of
Municipalities of Ontario be approved to receive funding from the Province from its Main Street Program.  Tecumseh’s one time allocation is $58,195.14.  The remainder will be spent prior to 2020.

b. Financial Services
1. FS-2018-05 Statement of Remuneration and Expenses Paid in 2017.  Administration releases the remuneration given to each of the members of Council.

Total Compensation for me included $ 27,007 for meeting time and $4,728 in expenses reimbursed, which are attributable to the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Ontario Small Urban Municipalities and Association of Municipalities of Ontario West conferences that I had attended in 2017.

c. Parks & Recreation Services
1. PRS-2018-13 Lakewood Park - Tree Carving Cadillac and LaSalle.  Administration is recommending that Erie Treasures Custom Chainsaw Art be contracted in the amount of $4,500 plus HST to carve the likeness of Antoine de Lamothe Cadillac and René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de LaSalle in the damaged tree at Lakewood Park and that an additional $1,000 plus HST be allocated to landscape the area after the carving has been completed.  Funds would be provided from the One-Time Strategic Issues Lifecycle
Reserve. 

d. Planning & Building Services
1. PBS-2018-13 Results of Public Consultation Process and Recommended Changes to the TTS for 2018.  Administration is recommending to:

- Eliminate the East Pointe Trails bus stop

- Shift the Manning-to-Little River transit route to Manning-Tecumseh-Green Valley-St. Gregory-Revland-St. Thomas Street

- Move Riverside Drive route to Dillon Drive

- Provide two-way service on Southfield-Brouillette-Shawnee and eliminate Tecumseh Road service between Southfield and Shawnee.

- Eliminate Tecumseh Towne Centre bus stop.

2. PBS-2018-14 CIP Grant Funding, 1071 Lesperance Road.  Administration is recommending approval of a Grant Application for the Tecumseh Road Main Street Community Improvement Plan Financial Incentive Program, for the property located at 1071
Lesperance Road and deemed eligible for Financial Incentives in an amount of $3,000.00 toward the preparation of architectural drawings.

 

For information on these or other municipal matters please contact me at 226-773-1910 or andrew@andrewdowie.ca

Add your reaction Share

March 27th Meeting

Tecumseh Council begins this week at 5:30pm.  There will be a public meeting to discuss the rezoning of the property at 154 Hayes Avenue.  The property is vacant, but there was formerly a house there.  The current zoning is "Recreational (RE)" and the proposed zoning is "Residential Type Two Zone (R2)".  The agenda can be found here.

At 6pm, the Court of Revision will meet to consider appeals of his/her assessment or any part thereof as set out in the Drainage Report, prepared by Baird AE, dated November 23, 2017, for the 7th Concession Drain.  This will be the third consideration of the report by Town Council following requests for reconsideration regarding the culvert on a particular property.  The agenda can be found here.

At 7pm, Regular Business begins.  The agenda can be found here.

Delegations include:
a. Fire Service Recognition Re: Kiara Lynn Harrison
b. Top 100 Festival Award Re: 2017 Corn Festival Committee
c. Optimist Club of St. Clair Beach Re: Taste of Tecumseh

Communications for information include:
a. Town of Lakeshore - dated March 19, 2018 Re: Notice of Open House and Complete Application.  Four three-unit townhome developments are proposed for East Pike Creek Road in the Town of Lakeshore.  The public meeting will be held at the Atlas Tube Centre on Tuesday, March 27th from 5pm to 7pm.
b. Canadian Public Works Association - dated March 12, 2018 Re: 2018 National Public Works Week May 20-26, 2018.  The CPWA is requesting proclamation of National Public Works Week.
c. Town of Essex - dated March 12, 2018 Re: User Pay Childcare Services at AMO and FCM Conferences.  Essex is requesting support for offering cost-recovery day care services at the two municipal conferences so that Councillors can bring their children.
d. Township of South Stormont - dated March 14, 2018 Re: Resolution regarding legislations and regulations relative to the
Ontario Building Code.  Stormont is requesting support for asking the Province to ensure that the Building Code regulate occupant health and safety and not other matters such as energy efficiency targets.
e. City of Windsor - March 22, 2018 Re: Sewer Use Master Plan - Notice of Commencement.  The City of Windsor has initiated a Sewer Master Plan for their overall sewer and drainage systems.

Communications - Action Required includes:
a. Ontario Good Roads Association - dated March 22, 2018 Re: Be in the know with new Asset Management training.  Administration is recommending that the Mayor and Members of Council be authorized to attend the March 27, 2018 Asset Management Training in London at a cost of $25, in accordance with the Town’s Travel and Professional Development
Policies.

Reports include:
a. Fire & Emergency Services
1. FIRE-2018-04 Amendment to the 2018 Fire Five (5) Year Capital Projects Plan 2018 - 2022.  Administration is recommending that 3 sets of firefighter bunker gear be purchased for $7,800, funded through the Fire Equipment
Lifecycle Reserve;


b. Parks & Recreation Services
1. PRS-2018-02 Taste of Tecumseh Festival 2018.  Administration is recommending that the Optimist Club of St. Clair Beach be authorized to sell and serve alcohol to patrons at Lakewood Park from Friday, June 15, 2018 through to and including Saturday, June 16, 2018, and for relief from the Noise By-law No. 2002-07 to operate loud speakers or sound amplifying equipment. during the 2018 Taste of Tecumseh Festival on Friday, June 15, 2018 and Saturday, June 16, 2018 from 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
2. PRS-2018-03 Windsor Sport and Culture Annual Celebration.  Administration is recommending that relief be granted from the Noise By-law in order to permit the Windsor Sports and Culture Club to operate loud speakers or sound amplifying equipment on Saturday, August 4, 2018, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
3. PRS-2018-05 St. Clair College Baseball at Lacasse Park.  Administration is recommending that St. Clair College be authorized to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for consumption by patrons at the Lacasse Park Baseball Diamond during home games throughout the 2018 baseball season starting June 9, 2018 through to and including August 31, 2018.
4. PRS-2018-06 Carter Shows Ltd. Contract for the 2018 Corn Festival.  Administration is recommending that an Agreement be entered into with Carter Shows Limited for the Midway Carnival for the 2018 Tecumseh Corn Festival.  Carter will supply to the Town 25% of the Ride Gross less HST, 50% of the Concession Revenue or $5000, whichever is greater, $2,500 for Advertising, and 100 VIP Passes.


c. Planning & Building Services
1. PBS-2018-11, D19 ROSTEC, Rosati Development, North Side of Tecumseh Rd.  A public meeting is proposed to be held on Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 at 5:00 p.m., to discuss for the applications submitted by Rosati Construction for a rezoning of a 1.74 hectare (4.29 acre) parcel of land located on the north side of Tecumseh Road at its intersection with Dorset Park.  Rosati is proposing converting the property (former St. Gregory's Church) from the current Official Plan designation of “Institutional” to a “Medium Density Residential” designation with a site-specific policy that will establish a maximum density of 44 units per hectare and permit multi-unit residential uses; and ii) the current “Institutional Zone (I)” to a site-specific “Residential Type Three Zone
(R3)” in order to permit the construction of a residential subdivision consisting of a maximum of 22 townhouse units and one, four-storey apartment building containing a maximum of 55 units.

For questions on these or other municipal matters feel free to contact me at 226-773-1910 or andrew@andrewdowie.ca

 

Add your reaction Share

March 13th Meeting

Town Council begins at 5:30pm this week.

We will first host a Public Meeting to receive feedback from residents regarding proposed construction of a five-storey, 71-unit condominium apartment building, accessory marina and limited ground-floor commercial uses, along with associated on-site surface and  underground parking at the former Pud's Place Marina at 14328 &14346 Tecumseh Road.   The subject property is currently designated "Commercial" in the St. Clair Beach Official Plan. The purpose of the proposed Official Plan amendment is to redesignate the subject property to a "Medium Density Residential" designation.

The full agenda packet for the rezoning application can be found here.

Regular business begins at 7pm.  The full agenda packet can be found here.

Delegations
a. Town of Tecumseh Business Improvement Area, Chair Candice Dennis, Treasurer Paul Bistany, Directors Linda Proctor and Dan Hofgartner will speak to the BIA Budget.
b. Richard Wyma, General Manager/Secretary-Treasurer of Essex Region Conservation Authority will speak to the Essex Region Conservation Authority (ERCA) 2017 Annual Report

Reports include:
a. Chief Administrative Officer
1. CAO-2018-05 Town Hall Temporary Office Space.  Administration is recommending spending $10,000 to install portable office space at Town Hall to house 5-6 employees.

b. Fire & Emergency Services
1. FIRE-2018-02 Proposed Amendments to the Fire Protection and Prevention Act: Mandatory Training and Community Risk
Assessment.  Administration is recommending receipt of the Fire Chief’s report regarding proposed draft regulations affecting the delivery of municipal fire services, and that Council support the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs regarding the proposed
draft regulations from the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services be supported.

The Province is proposing mandatory certification requirements set out by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) for all new firefighters employed or appointed to a Fire Department in Ontario for several positions.  Requirements would come into force January 1, 2019 with the exception of technical rescuers, which would come into force January 1, 2020.  The Province is also proposing that mandatory certification requirements also set out by the NFPA apply to existing firefighters currently employed or appointed in fire departments across Ontario.

The Province is proposing that effective January 1, 2019, municipalities be required to conduct a Standard Risk Assessment every five (5) years focusing on key profiles in their communities (e.g. demographics, geography, past fire loss and event history, critical infrastructure, building stock profile within the community, etc.).  Municipalities would be responsible for reviewing their community risk assessment annually to ensure that any significant changes in the mandatory profiles are identified. If there are any significant changes in risk (e.g., addition of retirement homes or care facilities), the Municipality will be responsible for updating their assessment. This information will be used to inform decisions about Fire Protection Services in their community.

Administration is recommending that the following amendments be put forward:

Mandatory Certification:
a) It is recommended that the Internship Program of twenty-four (24) months for newly hired firefighters be expanded to include all applicable areas and positions, such as fire inspectors and Fire Officer I & II, replacing the limiting language found in Section 3(b) of the Act (attached); and
b) It is recommended that the date of implementation be reviewed (in light of an election year) as there may not be enough time prior to July 2018 or at the initial Council meeting on/or after December 1, 2018, to make decisions (e.g. training funding) to
ensure full implementation of the Mandatory Training and Certification regulation; and
c) It is recommended that Certification for some individual chapters within the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1006 may not be available for the January 1, 2020 deadline. Additional wording should be added, allowing the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to manage the implementation of NFPA 1006 Technical Rescue 1006 as the standards are updated, published, and testing/skills are made available, in order to support and complete the certification process; and
d) It is recommended that reciprocity among AHJ’s be addressed so that both current and newly hired firefighters that have received NFPA certifications outside the province of Ontario are recognized by the provincial AHJ under the proposed regulations. This recommendation will also assist with provincial capacity for testing and certification.

Mandatory Community Risk Assessments:
e) It is recommended that the reference to building stock and classifications should use Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) data to classify building usage in regards to fire risks; and
f) It is recommended that, in Section 2 of the Draft Regulation – Mandatory Community Risk Assessment (Appendix B) Reporting the “state of compliance with the fire code” should be deleted as this is directly dependent upon municipalities’ set level of service
for fire prevention (e.g. fire inspections upon request or complaints as permitted, under the FPPA); and
g) It is recommended that, in Section 6 of Draft Regulation (Appendix B) that in a multi-tier Government, (e.g. lower-tier fire, upper-tier Emergency Medical Service (EMS) and /or Police Service), the data required for public safety response profile is not attainable; and
h) It is recommended that, in Section 9 (2) of the Draft Regulation (Appendix B), that comparison to other “like communities” may be difficult to achieve. Reporting in comparison to provincial trends would be more appropriate; and

Mandatory Training and Certification for Fire Service Personnel
i) It is recommended that the Provincial Government provides liability indemnification for
all municipal governments who comply with these new regulations at least twelve (12)
months before the training and certification comes into force.

2. FIRE-2018-03 Proposed Amendments to the Fire Protection and Prevention Act: Mandatory Public Reporting

In response to a Provincial review, the following comments are recommended to be submitted to the Province as part of the public
consultation process:
a) It is recommended that the reporting requirements be amended to recognize the various response models of the many composite fire services in the province. In many cases, an initial minimally staffed emergency response unit may be deployed,
relying on volunteer firefighter support in suburban or rural areas. The community population density classifications of the NFPA 1720 Standard for Volunteer Fire Departments provide a better reflection of the service levels chosen by municipal Councils to meet their needs and circumstances in the many communities served by composite fire departments.
b) It is recommended that a comprehensive review and revision of the Standard Incident Report (SIR) codes and categories be undertaken, in consultation with the fire service stakeholders, to better define response types, eliminate duplication and
ambiguity in code categories. Further, a subset of non-emergency response codes should be identified, to be excluded from the requirements for mandatory public reporting of performance against the standard for emergency response.
c) It is recommended that the MCSCS provides direction and the corresponding required funding for the development and implementation of standardized technology and data processing procedures for all fire departments and dispatch services to provide consistency in data collection and reporting of the required elements of total response times required by the regulation, such that accurate performance comparisons can be made among municipalities.

c. Planning & Building Services
1. PBS-2018-08 Zoning By-law Amendment 7095 Manning.  Windsor Quality Poultry Proposed Poultry Processing and Repackaging Facility.  Administration is recommending the scheduling of a public meeting, to be held on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 6:00
p.m., for a rezoning of a 1.8 hectare (4.4 acre) parcel of land situated on the west side of Manning Road, approximately 300
metres south of its intersection with South Talbot Road (7095 Manning Road), from "Agricultural Zone (A)" to a site specific "Agricultural Zone (A-28)" to permit a poultry processing and repackaging facility as an additional permitted use on the subject
property, be authorized.

2. PBS-2018-09 Conservation Agreement, 8th. Con.-Cty. Rd. 8 Intersection.  Administration is recommending that a Conservation Easement Agreement on the northeast corner of the 8th Concession/County Road 8 intersection be adopted to facilitate the preservation of the existing woodlot on the northeast corner of the parcel.

3. PBS-2018-10 New Building By-law and Permit Fee Schedule.  Administration is recommending that the By-law and permit fee schedule be update to reflect Council's previous decision to waive building fees for commercial and hospitality developments for one year.  It is estimated that the proposed permit fee rates should increase annual permit fee revenue on average by approximately 15-24 percent.

 

For further information on these or other municipal matters please contact me at 226-773-1910 or andrew@andrewdowie.ca

 

Add your reaction Share