About Andrew

Since 2014, I have had the privilege to serve Ward 1 residents as Councillor for the Town of Tecumseh. With my background in municipal public works, my record of professional experience and community engagement can be put to extensive use to keep Tecumseh a great place to live.

I am ecstatic to have been a part of the Town's progress over the last four years and am seeking your support for re-election as Ward 1 Councillor in the 2018-2022 term. If re-elected, you can continue to count on me to deliver responsive, reliable and responsible town oversight, decision-making and advocacy on your behalf.

What's New

March 13th Meeting

Town Council begins at 5:30pm this week.

We will first host a Public Meeting to receive feedback from residents regarding proposed construction of a five-storey, 71-unit condominium apartment building, accessory marina and limited ground-floor commercial uses, along with associated on-site surface and  underground parking at the former Pud's Place Marina at 14328 &14346 Tecumseh Road.   The subject property is currently designated "Commercial" in the St. Clair Beach Official Plan. The purpose of the proposed Official Plan amendment is to redesignate the subject property to a "Medium Density Residential" designation.

The full agenda packet for the rezoning application can be found here.

Regular business begins at 7pm.  The full agenda packet can be found here.

Delegations
a. Town of Tecumseh Business Improvement Area, Chair Candice Dennis, Treasurer Paul Bistany, Directors Linda Proctor and Dan Hofgartner will speak to the BIA Budget.
b. Richard Wyma, General Manager/Secretary-Treasurer of Essex Region Conservation Authority will speak to the Essex Region Conservation Authority (ERCA) 2017 Annual Report

Reports include:
a. Chief Administrative Officer
1. CAO-2018-05 Town Hall Temporary Office Space.  Administration is recommending spending $10,000 to install portable office space at Town Hall to house 5-6 employees.

b. Fire & Emergency Services
1. FIRE-2018-02 Proposed Amendments to the Fire Protection and Prevention Act: Mandatory Training and Community Risk
Assessment.  Administration is recommending receipt of the Fire Chief’s report regarding proposed draft regulations affecting the delivery of municipal fire services, and that Council support the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs regarding the proposed
draft regulations from the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services be supported.

The Province is proposing mandatory certification requirements set out by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) for all new firefighters employed or appointed to a Fire Department in Ontario for several positions.  Requirements would come into force January 1, 2019 with the exception of technical rescuers, which would come into force January 1, 2020.  The Province is also proposing that mandatory certification requirements also set out by the NFPA apply to existing firefighters currently employed or appointed in fire departments across Ontario.

The Province is proposing that effective January 1, 2019, municipalities be required to conduct a Standard Risk Assessment every five (5) years focusing on key profiles in their communities (e.g. demographics, geography, past fire loss and event history, critical infrastructure, building stock profile within the community, etc.).  Municipalities would be responsible for reviewing their community risk assessment annually to ensure that any significant changes in the mandatory profiles are identified. If there are any significant changes in risk (e.g., addition of retirement homes or care facilities), the Municipality will be responsible for updating their assessment. This information will be used to inform decisions about Fire Protection Services in their community.

Administration is recommending that the following amendments be put forward:

Mandatory Certification:
a) It is recommended that the Internship Program of twenty-four (24) months for newly hired firefighters be expanded to include all applicable areas and positions, such as fire inspectors and Fire Officer I & II, replacing the limiting language found in Section 3(b) of the Act (attached); and
b) It is recommended that the date of implementation be reviewed (in light of an election year) as there may not be enough time prior to July 2018 or at the initial Council meeting on/or after December 1, 2018, to make decisions (e.g. training funding) to
ensure full implementation of the Mandatory Training and Certification regulation; and
c) It is recommended that Certification for some individual chapters within the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1006 may not be available for the January 1, 2020 deadline. Additional wording should be added, allowing the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to manage the implementation of NFPA 1006 Technical Rescue 1006 as the standards are updated, published, and testing/skills are made available, in order to support and complete the certification process; and
d) It is recommended that reciprocity among AHJ’s be addressed so that both current and newly hired firefighters that have received NFPA certifications outside the province of Ontario are recognized by the provincial AHJ under the proposed regulations. This recommendation will also assist with provincial capacity for testing and certification.

Mandatory Community Risk Assessments:
e) It is recommended that the reference to building stock and classifications should use Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) data to classify building usage in regards to fire risks; and
f) It is recommended that, in Section 2 of the Draft Regulation – Mandatory Community Risk Assessment (Appendix B) Reporting the “state of compliance with the fire code” should be deleted as this is directly dependent upon municipalities’ set level of service
for fire prevention (e.g. fire inspections upon request or complaints as permitted, under the FPPA); and
g) It is recommended that, in Section 6 of Draft Regulation (Appendix B) that in a multi-tier Government, (e.g. lower-tier fire, upper-tier Emergency Medical Service (EMS) and /or Police Service), the data required for public safety response profile is not attainable; and
h) It is recommended that, in Section 9 (2) of the Draft Regulation (Appendix B), that comparison to other “like communities” may be difficult to achieve. Reporting in comparison to provincial trends would be more appropriate; and

Mandatory Training and Certification for Fire Service Personnel
i) It is recommended that the Provincial Government provides liability indemnification for
all municipal governments who comply with these new regulations at least twelve (12)
months before the training and certification comes into force.

2. FIRE-2018-03 Proposed Amendments to the Fire Protection and Prevention Act: Mandatory Public Reporting

In response to a Provincial review, the following comments are recommended to be submitted to the Province as part of the public
consultation process:
a) It is recommended that the reporting requirements be amended to recognize the various response models of the many composite fire services in the province. In many cases, an initial minimally staffed emergency response unit may be deployed,
relying on volunteer firefighter support in suburban or rural areas. The community population density classifications of the NFPA 1720 Standard for Volunteer Fire Departments provide a better reflection of the service levels chosen by municipal Councils to meet their needs and circumstances in the many communities served by composite fire departments.
b) It is recommended that a comprehensive review and revision of the Standard Incident Report (SIR) codes and categories be undertaken, in consultation with the fire service stakeholders, to better define response types, eliminate duplication and
ambiguity in code categories. Further, a subset of non-emergency response codes should be identified, to be excluded from the requirements for mandatory public reporting of performance against the standard for emergency response.
c) It is recommended that the MCSCS provides direction and the corresponding required funding for the development and implementation of standardized technology and data processing procedures for all fire departments and dispatch services to provide consistency in data collection and reporting of the required elements of total response times required by the regulation, such that accurate performance comparisons can be made among municipalities.

c. Planning & Building Services
1. PBS-2018-08 Zoning By-law Amendment 7095 Manning.  Windsor Quality Poultry Proposed Poultry Processing and Repackaging Facility.  Administration is recommending the scheduling of a public meeting, to be held on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 6:00
p.m., for a rezoning of a 1.8 hectare (4.4 acre) parcel of land situated on the west side of Manning Road, approximately 300
metres south of its intersection with South Talbot Road (7095 Manning Road), from "Agricultural Zone (A)" to a site specific "Agricultural Zone (A-28)" to permit a poultry processing and repackaging facility as an additional permitted use on the subject
property, be authorized.

2. PBS-2018-09 Conservation Agreement, 8th. Con.-Cty. Rd. 8 Intersection.  Administration is recommending that a Conservation Easement Agreement on the northeast corner of the 8th Concession/County Road 8 intersection be adopted to facilitate the preservation of the existing woodlot on the northeast corner of the parcel.

3. PBS-2018-10 New Building By-law and Permit Fee Schedule.  Administration is recommending that the By-law and permit fee schedule be update to reflect Council's previous decision to waive building fees for commercial and hospitality developments for one year.  It is estimated that the proposed permit fee rates should increase annual permit fee revenue on average by approximately 15-24 percent.

 

For further information on these or other municipal matters please contact me at 226-773-1910 or andrew@andrewdowie.ca

 

Add your reaction Share

February 27th Meeting

This week, Town Council begins at 5pm.

A public meeting will be held to discuss a proposed zoning amendment at 12334 Arbour Street.  The proponent would like to change the zoning to allow for construction of a semi-detached residential dwelling and establish site-specific yard and lot (i.e. building setbacks, lot coverage) requirements.  Each dwelling unit is proposed to have an attached single-car garage accessed from Arbour Street. The agenda can be found here.

At 6pm, Town Council will reconsider the 7th Concession Drain report.  The most recent report needs to be slightly revised because of a land sale and a request to install a new culvert.  The agenda can be found here.

Regular business begins at 7pm.  The agenda can be found here.

No delegations are present this evening.

Communications include:

  • Windsor Essex County 2018 Accessibility Awards Call for Nominations for businesses, organizations and individuals who have
    gone above and beyond in making our community a better place to live for persons with disabilities.
  • Town of Essex Re: Offering School Properties to Municipalities.  Administration is recommending that the resolution from the Town of Essex regarding the sale of surplus school properties to municipalities for a dollar, be supported.
  • Essex Region Conservation Foundation Re: 30th Annual Golf Tournament.  Administration is recommending that the Town’s Essex Region Conservation Authority (ERCA) representatives be authorized to attend the Essex Region Conservation Foundation's 30th Annual Golf Tournament, on July 12, 2018.

Reports include:
a. Parks & Recreation Services
1. PRS-2018-01, Optimist Club's Victoria Day Weekend Fireworks 2018.  It is recommended that:

  • The rental fees associated with use of the Optimist Community Centre and Green Acres Park for the Optimist Club of St. Clair Beach’s 2018 Victoria Day Fireworks Display, at a cost of $197 be waived; and that 
  • The fees associated with the fireworks permit as regulated under By-law Number 2013-50, a by-law to regulate the sale and use of fireworks, at a cost of $50, be waived; and that
  • The Ontario Provincial Police schedule officers to walk through the park the evening of the fireworks display.

b. Planning & Building Services
1. PBS-2018-04, Encroachment Agreement, 1130 Lesperance Road.  Administration is recommending that an existing building encroachment of the Amloze Pizza building on the public right-of-way be formalized by way of a legal agreement.

2. PBS-2018-05, Potential One-Year Moratorium on Commercial Development and Hotel Building Permit Fees.  Administration is not recommending a one-year moratorium on commercial development and hotel building permit fees, but in the event that the moratorium is approved that any shortfall in building permit revenue that results be off-set by the Tax Rate Stabilization Reserve.

3. PBS-2018-06, 2017 Year End Permit Report.  Administration recommends that construction value is down by -$8,591,736 or -16.7 percent over last year. This is due in part to a decrease in new residential construction over the previous year.

4. PBS 2018-07, D19 SANTA, Santarossa ZBA and Plan of Subdivision.  Administration recommends approval of the a rezoning of the Santarossa lands, including designation of the stormwater management facility as existing woodlot/natural area and the designation of the remaining lands as a business park subdivision comprising five business park lots on a 29.0 hectare (71.6 acre) parcel of land situated at the north-east corner of the 8th Concession Road/County Road 42 intersection.

c. Public Works & Environmental Services
1. PWES-2018-07, Various 2018 Watermain Improvement Projects - Tender Award.  Administration recommends that the tender for the Various 2018 Watermain Improvement Projects in the amount of $742,725 excluding HST be awarded to Sherway Contracting (Windsor) Ltd.  As the project was under budget, funding allocations reflect a $251,100 decrease from the Watermain Reserve Fund.

2. PWES-2018-10, 2017 Tecumseh Distribution System - Inspection Report.  The Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change inspection report for the Tecumseh Distribution System dated January 12, 2018 is received by Council.  100% compliance was reported.

3. PWES-2018-11, Source Protection Municipal Implementation Funding (SPMIF) Agreement Amendment No. 4.  Administration recommends that By-law No. 2018-15 be adopted to authorize the Mayor and Clerk to execute the Source Protection Municipal Implementation Fund (SPMIF) Amendment No.4 and any future SPMIF amendments.  Source water protection is a provincially mandated program.

4. PWES-2018-12, Drinking Water Quality Management System Operational Plan Version 8.  Administration is recommending that the Drinking Water Quality Management System Operational Plan Version 8 be endorsed and committed to.

 

For information in these or other municipal matters, please contact me at 226-773-1910 or andrew@andrewdowie.ca

Add your reaction Share